Currently in it's tenth season, which premiered September 26, 2018, an eleventh and final season was ordered on February 5, 2019.
Modern Family revolves around three different types of families (nuclear, step- and same-sex) living in the Los Angeles area, who are interrelated through Jay Pritchett and his children, Claire Dunphy (née Pritchett) and Mitchell Pritchett. Patriarch Jay is remarried to a much younger woman, Gloria Delgado Pritchett (née Ramirez), a passionate Colombian with whom he has an infant son, Fulgencio (Joe) Pritchett, and a son from Gloria's previous marriage, Manny Delgado.
Jay's daughter Claire was a homemaker, but has returned to the business world. She is now the chief executive of her father's previous business, Pritchett's Closets and Blinds. She is married to Phil Dunphy, a realtor and self-professed "cool dad". They have three children: Haley Dunphy, a stereotypical ditzy teenage girl; Alex Dunphy, a nerdy, smart middle child; and Luke Dunphy, the off-beat only son.
Jay's lawyer son Mitchell and his husband Cameron Tucker have one daughter, Lily Tucker-Pritchett. As the name suggests, this family represents a modern-day family, and episodes are comically based on situations which many families encounter in real life.
- Ed O'Neill as Jay Pritchett
- Sofía Vergara as Gloria Pritchett
- Julie Bowen as Claire Dunphy
- Ty Burrell as Phil Dunphy
- Jesse Tyler Ferguson as Mitchell Pritchett
- Eric Stonestreet as Cameron Tucker
- Sarah Hyland as Haley Dunphy
- Ariel Winter as Alex Dunphy
- Nolan Gould as Luke Dunphy
- Rico Rodriguez as Manny Delgado
- Aubrey Anderson-Emmons as Lily Tucker-Pritchett
- Jeremy Maguire as Joe Pritchett
"Modern Family" premiered to positive reviews from critics, with reception getting more mixed as the show progressed. It has won the Emmy Award for "Outstanding Comedy Series" in each of its first five years and various other awards as well.