In mixed-ish, Rainbow Johnson recounts her experience growing up in a mixed-race family in the '80s and the constant dilemmas they had to face over whether to assimilate or stay true to themselves. Bow's parents Paul and Alicia decide to move from a hippie commune to the suburbs to better provide for their family. As her parents struggle with the challenges of their new life, Bow and her siblings navigate a mainstream school in which they're perceived as neither black nor white. This family's experiences illuminate the challenges of finding one's own identity when the rest of the world can't decide where you belong.
- Arica Himmel as Rainbow "Bow" Johnson
- Tracee Ellis Ross as adult Rainbow Johnson
- Tika Sumpter as Alicia Johnson
- Mark-Paul Gosselaar as Paul Johnson. Paul was played by Anders Holm in the pilot.
- Gary Cole as Harrison Jackson III
- Christina Anthony as Denise
- Mykal-Michelle Harris as Santamonica Johnson
- Ethan William Childress as Johan Johnson